Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Mini Reviews: Lola and the Boy Next Door, White Cat

I don't have too many thoughts on the following books, mainly because I'm A) sick, B) reading 7 other books and C) sick sick sick. But I wanted to at least have some of my thoughts on them down for posterity, or something.

Or I just like seeing posts on the blog, that too.

Lola and the Boy Next Door, by Stephanie Perkins
Rating: ✮✮✮
Book Depository | Goodreads

I really loved Anna and the French Kiss, Stephanie Perkins's debut, so when I heard of Lola, it immediately went in my to read list. It's hard not to compare Lola to Anna (St. Clair and Anna even show up in this one as secondary characters, and yay, their love!), so I'll get this out of the way first: Lola is just as fun, but I enjoyed Anna more. (And I think it's kinda telling, to see why people enjoy one over the other.) But Lola and the French Kiss has a style and flair all its own, owing to Lola Nolan and her ever changing fashion, quirky love-crush Cricket, and the genuine teen anguish she goes through. What works here is that it Lola doesn't just start liking Cricket when she's still with her current boyfriend, punk rocker Max, but she's always liked him. That her feelings are established and thus get all churned up when Cricket comes back keep it from being shallow. Plus, she's got two gay dads, an awesome best friend, lives in San Francisco and works on a full on Marie Antoinette dress for a school dance. Lola might be a little too quirky for me in real life, but in print she's great, and so is this novel. Yay for good YA chick lit!

White Cat, by Holly Black
Series: Curse Workers #1
Rating: ✮✮✮
Book Depository | Goodreads

First off, I really, really like the idea behind White Cat. Magic being prominent and just another thing people do, the idea of curse working and magic blow back, the mystery of it all and a pretty cool con-man protagonist in Cassel Sharpe.

I was just totally not on board as I read, and I have no frigging clue why. I swear, I got to page 200 and realized I didn't know where I was in the plot, what was happening, or why Cassel was doing anything he was. Well no, that's a lie, I got a lot of it, and as the book finished I got that, but in my memory the middle of it is all muddled. I get that the nature of the mystery itself (which -- damn, that was a good twist) led to a bit of an unreliable narrator, but I'm still baffled.

And that's not a bad thing! I'm just gonna sit here and say that what I got out of the book I enjoyed, and I'll be checking out the next in the series, but WTF, self.

This is the lamest review ever, look at some pictures of Tom Sturridge, who is the perfect Cassel based on the book cover alone and forget this ever happened:




2 comments:

  1. I didn't like Lola as much as Anna either, she just wasn't quite as adorably endearing as Anna was! I still enjoyed the story though and I love the way Stephanie Perkins writes, but Anna will always be on of my very favorite stories so it was bound to be hard to live up to:) Love the mini reviews Chantaal!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, Anna was much more of a favorite for me as well! I can't waaaaait for Isla and the Happily Ever After.

      Delete