Saturday, January 28, 2012

Review: Deadly Cool

Deadly Cool
Author: Gemma Halliday
Series: Deadly Cool #1
Rating: ✮✮✮✮
Book Depository | Indie Bound | Goodreads

Summary:
Hartley Grace Featherstone is having a very bad day. First she finds out that her boyfriend is cheating on her with the president of the Herbert Hoover High School Chastity Club. Then he's pegged as the #1 suspect in a murder. And if that weren't enough, now he's depending on Hartley to clear his name. Seriously? Not cool.

But as much as Hartley wouldn't mind seeing him squirm, she knows he's innocent, and she's the only one who can help him. Along with her best friend, Sam, and the school's resident Bad Boy, Chase, Hartley starts investigating on her own. But as the dead bodies begin to pile up, the mystery deepens, the suspects multiply, and Hartley begins to fear that she may be the killer's next victim.


Review:
Deadly Cool is one of those light, easily read YA novels that always seem to go down quickly and disappear from your mind a week after you're done. Hartley Featherstone (I know, what a name) refuses to do that, and remains a kick-ass, smart heroine for the YA set. While teen mysteries always have to take some liberties when it comes to teenagers solving murders and the like (it wouldn't be a great book if they actually told the police what they knew and let them solve it, would it?), it doesn't feel like the adults are made out to be idiots, nor are the teens super sleuths after working only a few hours.

Hartley is an incredibly likeable protagonist, and it's great to see the feelings she's at war with as she investigates a murder on behalf of her cheating ex-boyfriend. She's never stupid about it, nor does she immediately fall into instaluv with the bad boy who helps her out. Everything is balanced and makes for a read without any of the YA trappings that annoy me to no end.

The mystery itself is pretty well done, and at the end of the day I found myself wishing I could be as awesome as Hartley is.

6 comments:

  1. Wonderful review I'm reading this one soon (I actually scheduled the review so I make time for it since I've had it for TOO LONG!). It sounds really great I love that it stands out with great characters (with unfortunate names haha)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you enjoy it! It was a great, fun read. :)

      Delete
  2. I am super excited to read this one - it looks so great :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was a big fan of this one myself. I, too, loved that it was a teen book that didn't feature adults as either absent or incredibly stupid. Most of all, though, I really enjoyed the light, humorous tone of it when paired with the mystery. I'm thinking about checking out Halliday's adult mysteries to see if they have that same touch.
    Ruby

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely! I really hate when adults mysteriously disappear if the character isn't already an orphan or whatnot. It's so refreshing in a book like this to have a mom who actually cares and is present for most of it.

      I'm trying out her Spying series as well, I hope it's just as good.

      Delete