Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Some Girls Bite Read-Along


I missed last week's discussion questions, as I was pretty wrapped up in a whole lot of stuff, but I finally cracked open Some Girls Bite a few days ago and I'm loving it. The world building and vampire politics speak to me, as well as Merit's reluctance at becoming a vampire. There's a whole lot of exposition so far, but I forgive it because I love this stuff. I'm a little so-so on Ethan (hot as he is) and I kinda love Catcher already.

I'm throwing in last week's discussion questions as well, just to catch up with everyone, and I'm putting the rest of this post behind a jump, to keep from spoiling anyone who hasn't read it yet.

For the discussion questions and links to other posts, check out Tina's Book Reviews.

Chapters 1-4

1. Let’s say tomorrow a “vampire manifesto” as Merit calls it runs in newspapers across the country announcing their existence. How do you think you would react? If you were hesitant to believe initially, what would it take to convince you they were real?

Noooot much, honestly. I'd believe it right away, mostly because I've been reading too much fiction not to. :P

2. Since being turned into a vampire means complete removal from your former life and a new job serving your House in some capacity, what do you think you would miss most about the life you live now? 

My boyfriend, my friends. THE SUN. I'm like Sookie Stackhouse, I love the sun way too much to give it up for a life in the night. I'm that person who loves baking under it no matter how tan I get. I turn about ten shades darker in the summer.

3. What are your first impressions of Merit and how she’s handling all the changes in her life? 

I'm totally with Merit. She's having all these changes thrown in her face -- not by choice -- and I think she's handling it with grace. Most of the time, anyway, but I think any outbursts of anger she has are totally, er, merited.

4. When you first read the description of Ethan, what actor/model/person you know pops into your head as the perfect embodiment of him? Feel free to include pictures ;-) 

I've been watching too much True Blood, because all I see is Alexander Skarsgard, the perfect hotass vampire. Every time I read about a hot blond vamp, no matter his eye color or stature, ASkars pops into mind.

 

5. Do you think Merit’s anger at Ethan himself, not the situation, is justified? 

Ohhhh yeah. I totally get both sides of the story, I understand why Ethan changed her and I understand Merit's anger. If she wants to focus it on the dude who changed her against her will, then go for it, girl. Let it all out.  

Chapters 5-8

1. In what is a make you blush, steamy scene in the book- Chapter 5 has Ethan and Merit sharing a few hot moments after Merit's hunger strikes...that is until Ethan becomes a total cad! What do you think of him so far? Strong, masterful vampire, conceited playboy.....lover boy in disguise?

All of the above. He's the master of a House and all the vamps under his command, of course he's conceited and thinks he can treat Merit the way he wants. No that I approve, but I totally understand. I think there'll be a lot more to him -- saving Merit's life when she could have died, for one -- but right now, I'm totally fine with lusting after him while wanting to kick him in the shins.

2. Merit and Mallory begin some major training in these next few chapters, resulting in cool Katana Sword facts and Ninja moves. What is the most physically challenging or adrenaline fueled event/activity you have participated in? 

Hahahah, um. Actual gym exercise? Soccer matches when I was a kid? Coming from behind to win a track meet and then collapsing after I finished because I'd pushed myself to far? Which were all about 10+  years ago, I'm a big lump of lazy right now, but it's okay because I spend most of that time reading. And I've started exercising and reading at the same time, so there!

3. Mallory and Catcher have sparks so intense they almost fly off the page.....what do you think of this cozy couple? Did you like the insta-love between them? Do they add to the story? 

I'm a little wary about the insta-love, but I love that it's focused on secondary characters and not throwing a ton of guys at Merit. I do love that they literally have sparks flying, and their loud sex makes me laugh.

4. Lets talk Bff's....Mallory is hands down a terrific friend to Merit, the girls relationship is real, down to earth and fun....not to mention hysterical. What is your favorite memory or favorite thing to do with your bff? Feel free to share pics! 

I live with my BFF, so I we do a lot of things together. Our biggest house tradition is watching really awful movies together, which is more fun than it sounds, I promise. Even better if the movies have accompanying Rifftrax.

5. Things are starting to heat up in the mystery department...the set up at Red, Morgan's flirty appearance....Catcher's vague answers......as correlation day gets closer for Merit do you think someone is out to get her...or maybe recruit her to another house? Or PS- feed her some more food...because goodness this girl likes to eat!!! 

I'm reeeeally curious about what plans Ethan has for Merit after admitting she's not a mere foot soldier, and Catcher says she could be House master one day. Was the attack set up, or was it luck for Ethan? Just how powerful and pivotal a position is Merit in? So many questions!

4 comments:

  1. falls off of bed
    ALEXANDER SKARSGARD! *goes in fangirlin mode for awhile*
    Okay I am calm. I think.

    Great answers. I agree Merit is handling this pretty good. I would have had a vampire heart attack if that was possible and then some ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ALEXANDERRRR! He is totally one of my faves, I love him. :)

      Delete
  2. I'm a big lump of lazy right now too Chantaal! You are not alone:) Love Alexander as Eric, he would definitely make a yummy Ethan! *pets screen* Thanks so much for participating in Tempting Tuesdays!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for starting it, I'm actually having a load of fun doing a read-along instead of just blowing through books the way I do. XD

      Delete