Sunday, February 5, 2012

Mini Reviews: The Adoration of Jenna Fox, The Way We Fall, The Pledge

The Adoration of Jenna Fox, by Mary E. Pearson
Rating: ✮✮✮✮
Book Depository | Indie Bound | Goodreads
 
I'd heard so many good things about this book, and I was excited when I finally got it at the library. Though I had a vague impression of what the book was about, it turned out to be so much more, one that examines what it means to be human.

When Jenna Fox wakes up a year after a horrible accident, she has to piece together her life and figure out who she used to be and who she is now. It's her examination of her life and her family that really makes this book stand out among the YA sci-fi crowd. It's compelling, it's mysterious, it's heart breaking and hopeful all at once. Amazing, amazing, reading.


The Way We Fall, by Megan Crewe
Rating: ✮✮✮✮
Book Depository | Indie Bound | Goodreads

What would you do if your town slowly began to fall to a plague? Would you hide? Would you do your best to help others? Our hero Kaelyn has to face the life she's known falling apart when a plague takes most of the people she knows, and the fear that comes with facing death day after day.

The journal format was a little hard to get used to at first, but I really came to love Kaelyn and everything she goes through. She tries so hard to be a good person even though she's slowly being torn down with every day and death that passes. A great start to a series I'll definitely be looking forward to.


The Pledge, by Kimberly Derting
Rating: Didn't Finish
Book Depository | Indie Bound | Goodreads

I gave this a good try, I really did, but when I hit page 100, I realized I wasn't connecting with our heroine or her friends at all. The dystopian element was interesting (a world where people are separated in class by what language they speak) but it wasn't enough for me. I can forgive not connecting with a character or weak world building, but I can't do both. Maybe I'll give it another try in the future since it had the misfortune of following an amazing stretch of books.

No comments:

Post a Comment