Saturday, February 11, 2012

Review: Hallowed

Hallowed
Author: Cynthia Hand
Series: Unearthly #2
Rating: ✮✮✮
Book Depository | Indie Bound | Goodreads

Summary:
For months Clara Gardner trained to face the fire from her visions, but she wasn't prepared for the choice she had to make that day. And in the aftermath, she discovered that nothing about being part angel is as straightforward as she thought.

Now, torn between her love for Tucker and her complicated feelings about the roles she and Christian seem destined to play in a world that is both dangerous and beautiful, Clara struggles with a shocking revelation: Someone she loves will die in a matter of months. With her future uncertain, the only thing Clara knows for sure is that the fire was just the beginning.

Review:
Unearthly was my first review kicking off this blog, and I really enjoyed it. Cynthia Hand's intro into the paranormal YA world was a great one, a great take on angels and a romance (even love triangle!) I could truly get into. Hallowed follows up on all the things I loved about Unearthly, but it doesn't quite hit the same mark Unearthly did for me.

It's still a great second book in a series, don't get me wrong. We focus on Clara and her visions of her new purpose, a vision of a funeral. Someone she loves is going to die, and that sorrow she feels in her vision permeates the entire book. For that reason alone, I had to read this slowly; I couldn't take the constant sadness that Clara has to deal with. I loved her too much to read it in one go.

We do get a lot more information on the angels, which I really appreciated and enjoyed, as it picked up the book and gave it some of the energy it was missing in the first quarter. New characters were delightful, and the secret Clara and Jeffrey discover are pretty good.

As for the love triangle...I'm still not sure how I feel about it in this installment. I appreciated it in the first because there were reasons why Clara would fall for Tucker or Christian, and they're both really good guys. It felt like the love triangle was amped up a little in Hallowed, but it never went too over the top. It was still balanced and kept me invested in who Clara would end up with.

Hallowed does really well at what it set out to do. I might not have enjoyed it as much as I did Unearthly, but that doesn't mean it isn't a great book. I simply prefer not to cry into my pillow without trying to wake my boyfriend at one in the morning because the last 30 pages kept me in tears.

Can't believe I have to wait forever for the next book.

No comments:

Post a Comment