Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Review: The Mockingbirds, by Daisy Whitney

The Mockingbirds
Author: Daisy Whitney
Rating: ✮✮✮✮
Book Depository | Indie Bound | Goodreads

Summary:
Some schools have honor codes. Others have handbooks. Themis Academy has the Mockingbirds. When Alex is date raped during her junior year, she has two options: stay silent and hope someone helps her, or enlist the Mockingbirds--a secret society of students dedicated to righting the wrongs of their fellow peers.

Review:
I had really high hopes for this book since the first time I read the summary, and I'm really, really glad it lived up to my every expectation.

First off, I think the subject of Alex's date rape is handled with obvious care, but Daisy Whitney doesn't pull punches or try to pretend it's anything but what it is: a horrifying, disorienting, self-doubting experience that no girl or woman should ever have to go through. From the first page I was right there with Alex, and I felt for her in a way I haven't with any other female character in a long time.

The plot itself is fairly straightforward, with enough secrecy surrounding the Mockingbirds and how everything is handled to keep it from getting boring. Every character surrounding Alex seemed real and thoughtfully drawn out, each with their own lives going on but there wholeheartedly to support her when she needed it. I loved seeing a novel in a school setting where there weren't any Mean Girls for no reason at all, which happens way more than I'd like it to.

The Mockingbirds is a great read, something I recommend wholeheartedly, especially to teens. This is one of those books that is more important for the teen set than it is for us adults who love YA.

No comments:

Post a Comment