Thursday, February 16, 2012

Review: Paranormalcy

Paranormalcy
Author: Kiersten White
Series: Paranormalcy #1
Rating: ✮✮✮
Book Depository | Indie Bound | Goodreads

Summary:
Weird as it is working for the International Paranormal Containment Agency, Evie’s always thought of herself as normal. Sure, her best friend is a mermaid, her ex-boyfriend is a faerie, she's falling for a shape-shifter, and she's the only person who can see through paranormals' glamours, but still. Normal.

Only now paranormals are dying, and Evie's dreams are filled with haunting voices and mysterious prophecies. She soon realizes that there may be a link between her abilities and the sudden rash of deaths. Not only that, but she may very well be at the center of a dark faerie prophecy promising destruction to all paranormal creatures.

So much for normal.


Review:
Paranormalcy is one of those books that is just plain fun, with a cute, sassy heroine and a plot chockful of vampires, faires and weres, oh my! While it wasn't the best of the YA paranormal genre, there was enough fun and sass to keep things light.

Evie, our heroine, is a tiny, pink-loving paranormal sort-of-cop, raised without parents by an international agency that polices paranormal creatures. She's a wonderful, fun protagonist, and she's the life of the entire book. I really enjoyed reading about her, and felt for her the entire time. The other characters are pretty decent as well -- Lend is kind of adorable, through Evie's eyes. I loved her best friend Lish, the mermaid (selkie? I forget) and her mother figure, Raquel, the head of IPCA, the paranormal agency that raised her.

The integration of all the paranormal creatures was great, and I loved that the fae folk aren't entirely the best to work with. I love fiction that shows the fae as dangerous as they really are, and Paranormalcy totally delivered on that end.

It's a great little book with a larger than life main character in Evie, and I can't wait to get my hands on Supernaturally.

7 comments:

  1. I loved Paranormalcy too! It was everything I expected it to be. Great review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was such a fun read, I can't wait for the next!

      Delete
  2. So glad you loved Evie too Chantaal! She just cracked me up while reading:) I really enjoyed Lend as well, though I hear he's not a big part of book two which makes me a little sad and is one of the reasons I haven't picked it up yet. I agree this was just a fun book:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She's just SO much fun that the plot could have been a dud and I still would have enjoyed it. :)

      Delete
  3. I totally don't get what you describe from the cover! I'm definitely intrigued now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! I put this off for a while because the cover doesn't really express how awesome and fun this book is.

      Delete
    2. It's goin' on the TBR then!

      Delete