Saturday, February 11, 2012

Shelf Candy (1)


Shelf Candy is a weekly meme created by Steph at Five Alarm Book Reviews. Each week I'll feature a book cover I find gorgeous, evocative or interesting in one way or another. For more info on the meme, check out the introduction post here.


Blood Rights
By Kristen Painter
Goodreads

Why I chose this cover: It's absolutely gorgeous. The degree of detail work in the framing of the model, the gold painted onto the model's back (even if done digitally, it's amazing), her gown and her hair. The detail involved is incredible. I love the grey color scheme with red and gold as the only colors coming through because of their importance in the book. Honestly, this cover was the only reason I even noticed the novel, and while I still have it open and half read on my e-reader, I'm glad I did.

Synopsis: The lacy gold mapped her entire body. A finely-wrought filigree of stars, vines, flowers, butterflies, ancient symbols and words ran from her feet, up her legs, over her narrow waist, spanned her chest and finished down her arms to the tips of her fingers. 

Born into a life of secrets and service, Chrysabelle’s body bears the telltale marks of a comarrĂ©—a special race of humans bred to feed vampire nobility. When her patron is murdered, she becomes the prime suspect, which sends her running into the mortal world…and into the arms of Malkolm, an outcast vampire cursed to kill every being from whom he drinks.

Now Chrysabelle and Malkolm must work together to stop a plot to merge the mortal and supernatural worlds. If they fail, a chaos unlike anything anyone has ever seen will threaten to reign.

16 comments:

  1. Wow, I have never seen this book before. That cover is definitely intriguing! The red and gold really do pop out and now I am intrigued as to their significance in the book! Thank you so much for sharing !

    Also a new follower, by the way :D

    Jamie @ A Book Club of One

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome and welcome, I'll head on over to your blog! :)

      Delete
  2. Yeah! It is so nice to have you participate in Shelf Candy. You have made a beautiful selection. I agree, it is awesome that the photo is b & W while they did some detail in color. I haven't read Blood Rights yet, but I would like to see how these elements tie into the story, beyond what is in the synopsis.
    Thanks for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It hit me when I saw the post last night that Shelf Candy is exactly the kind of thing I LOVE, and couldn't resist. :)

      Delete
  3. Hi! Great choice of cover! This book is new to me. Here is my Shelf Candy.

    A new follower! I would love, if you could follow back!

    Vidya @ Books Are Magic

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by, and I'll definitely follow back!

      Delete
  4. wow this is a wonderful choice and this looks like a fabulous book. I haven't heard of it before and it looks like a really unique take on a vampire book! I will give this one a read. That cover is gorgeous I love the black and white with the pops of color.

    Here is my shelf candy pick: http://www.cambriahebert.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm really enjoying it so far, it's definitely a case of the cover speaking to me! Thanks for stopping by. :)

      Delete
  5. I have never heard of this book before. It looks so unique and the colors just---POP! Its friggin' fabby. :D Great Pick.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hah right? It's so pretty that it half sells the book.

      Thanks!

      Delete
  6. This cover is great! I love the henna-like tattoos on her back. The red ribbon is a great addition. Thanks for sharing. Great blog. I'm a new follower!

    Steph @ Steph's Stacks' Shelf Candy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The tattoos are my favorite part, they're so intricate and pretty!

      Thanks for following, I'll head on over to your blog and return the follow. :)

      Delete
  7. Oh, I've been meaning to start on this series!! It's a trilogy, and all the covers are stunningly gorgeous!!

    Your description of this cover is simply perfect! Yes, the detail involved, as well as the color scheme, make it a truly outstanding design.

    Thanks for featuring this!! Have a WONDERFUL weekend!! : )

    Maria @ http://anightsdreamofbooks.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had no idea there were more! I'll have to check the other covers out if they're just as good. :)

      Thank you for stopping by!

      Delete
  8. Amazing cover! I had never heard of this book before and now I can't wait to read it. Thanks for sharing. It's cover like these I love!!

    Come visit my shelf candy: http://www.thewindypages.com/2012/02/shelf-candy-15.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by! I'll head on over to visit your blog. :)

      Delete