Saturday, March 31, 2012

Mini Reviews: The Catastrophic History of You and Me, Pandemonium, I've Got Your Number

The Catastrophic History of You and Me, by Jess Rothenberg
Rating: ✮✮✮
Book Depository | Indie Bound | Goodreads

Following the afterlife of a girl who dies from a broken heart -- literally, her heart breaks in two -- this is a sweet, quirky novel about what it means to move on. Brie spends most of the novel going through the various stages of grief over her own death, and though they're clearly written out in the narrative and by Patrick, her guide to the afterlife, it's all very well done. It's not a perfect novel, and at times I really wanted to shake Brie, but I devoured it in two sittings (as I waited in line for The Hunger Games and in bed after!).

Pandemonium, by Lauren Oliver
Rating: ✮✮✮
Book Depository | Indie Bound | Goodreads

I loved Delirium, so I was definitely looking forward to Pandemonium, even keeping in mind that sophomore novels can never live up to that wonderful rush of the first novel. Pandemonium tries hard to kick things up a notch, but ultimately it seems to fall a tiny bit short. Only a tiny bit! Lena's story is still engaging, and it's nice to follow her again. The one thing that knocked the fourth star off this review, however, was the new love interest (highlight for spoiler) and a cliffhanger that inevitably introduces a love triangle. Why, Lauren Oliver? WHY?

I've Got Your Number, by Sophie Kinsella
Rating: ✮✮✮
Book Depository | Indie Bound | Goodreads

This was my first Sophie Kinsella novel (I know, right?) and I found incredibly pleasing in a Hits The Right Chick Lit Spot kinda way.  For something that required nothing but a minor investment in the characters, it was a lot of fun. The main character, Poppy, was a little too much at times (when she starts meddling, oh God, just stop and think for a second, girl) and parts of the plot wrapped up a little too neatly to make things easy for her -- not to mention the big climax that was totally written with a movie scene in mind. I see what you did there, Sophie.

No comments:

Post a Comment