Monday, March 12, 2012

Mini Reviews: The Miseducation of Cameron Post, Catching Jordan, Born Wicked, Silent in the Grave

I didn't realize how long it's been since I posted! I recently got a new job (yay!) and have been adjusting to that, as well as reading kinda slowly. But here are some mini reviews of books I've recently finished!

The Miseducation of Cameron Post, by Emily M. Danforth
Rating: ✮✮✮✮
Book Depository | Indie Bound | Goodreads

This book follows the journey of young Cameron Post, a girl whose parents die just as she begins to discover her burgeoning homosexuality. And it sounds really strange and trite when put that way, but there's so much to this novel. Cameron's day to day confusion with liking girls seems so real and present, despite it taking place in the early 90s. Eventually Cameron's religious aunt sends to a de-gaying camp, and that's where I felt the book dropped a star, in my eyes. It was great to see Cameron grow as a person, even if she was confused ninety percent of the time. Following her story as she slowly realized who she was and who she could be was a delight. I just wish it didn't feel like the book simply ended.


Catching Jordan, by Miranda Kenneally
Rating: ✮✮✮
Book Depository | Indie Bound | Goodreads

Catching Jordan is a rather cute contemporary romance novel, featuring a tomboy who is not only the only female on her football team, but the star quarterback and captain. It was refreshing having someone like Jordan to read along with, and though I know little of and care even less for football, it never made reading this a task. Though I knew going in that it was pure romance, I wish there could have been a little more to it than Jordan falling at first sight for the new guy in town. All in all, it was a cute novel, something to read and enjoy on a great, sunny day.


Born Wicked, by Jessica Spotswood
Rating: ✮✮✮
Book Depository | Indie Bound | Goodreads

I'd been looking forward to Born Wicked for quite some time, so when I finally got my hands on it, I was a bit disappointed. It was definitely interesting, at the least, and I liked reading about how different the three sisters were and how Cate, the oldest, dealt with being a stand-in mother for her siblings and how that affected their relationship. The rest of the plot seemed to move slow as molasses. I really couldn't have cared less for the weak love triangle, and none of the drama felt real because nothing felt like a threat the way Cate believed saw it. The writing could have been stronger. I think I'll probably pick up the rest of the series to see what happens, but it's not high on my want list.


Silent in the Grave, by Deanna Raybourn
Rating: ✮✮✮
Book Depository | Indie Bound | Goodreads

I enjoyed Silent in the Grave, but I'm still not sure why.  There were many things that should have stopped me from reading very early on: the writing was decent, but not very strong; the plot didn't really seem to matter because our protagonist kept doing other things; there was the most random acceptance of feminism and homosexuality for the time period; the lead male and possible romantic aspect was waaaay too Interesting and Different and Perfect.  But I still read on. I STILL READ ON. Maybe it was Lady Julia herself, maybe it was the fact that she didn't just blunder into clues and when she did do something stupid, she got called out on it. I don't know. I just know that I still read and was interested in every single chapter despite my problems with it.

3 comments:

  1. Is Silent in the Grave the first in the Lady Julia series? I know many people who swoon over these books and they're on my TBR. I read a historical trilogy set in, like, 1500s, where the preternaturally gorgeous heroine saw two men having gay sex, and there was this bizarre passage about how she knew it was a sin, and yet when seeing the men so obviously in love, she understood that it was good and not wrong or something bizarre like that. I'm a gaybo and all, I like not homophobes, but it was so weird and overly modern it made me crack up in the worst say. /long random story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it's the first in the series!

      And LOL, that is exactly how I feel about it! Jane's sister is in a committed relationship with a woman and she's all fine with that, but when other people get their gay it, she's startled by it and finds it wrong.

      Delete
  2. i would like to read catching jordan but it won't be soon it seems

    ReplyDelete