Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Mini Reviews: Ready Player One, Partials, Article 5

Ready Player One, by Ernest Cline
Rating: ✮✮✮✮
Book Depository | Indie Bound | Goodreads

Possibly the biggest love letter to nerds and 80s pop culture out there to date,  Ready Player One following Wade, aka Parzival, as he hunts for a treasure within the virtual reality game he spends most of his time in. Aside from the fun of the virtual reality and pop culture references, what makes this book really resonate is the way Wade grows as he deals with friends, enemies, and the difference between his virtual world and the real one. At times I felt the book dragged on a bit with all the pop culture descriptions and the length of time between the moments the action picked up again, but I always sprang right back when things got interesting again. It's incredibly fun, engaging, and as someone born in the middle of the 80s, it made me feel so awesome to know about 98% of all the pop culture references.


Partials, by Dan Wells
Rating: ✮✮✮
Book Depository | Indie Bound | Goodreads

Honestly, I wasn't so blown away by Partials. I love me some post-apocalyptic dystopian YA, and it's even better when cylons human-looking androids are the ones who destroyed the world. RM is a virus that killed most humans, and kills babies days after they're born. The human race is dying off, and Kira, teenage medic and doctor in training, decides she's going to cure it. By kidnapping a Partial, the robots that destroyed humanity. Kira was a strong protagonist, I can't deny that, but it mostly felt like she was off doing what she did because she was incredibly stubborn and couldn't even consider the fact that maybe, I don't know, she was being crazy. It would have helped if all the adults in the novel weren't written as roadblocks for Kira or totally eeeeevil~ conspirators.


Article 5, by Kristen Simmons
Rating: ✮✮
Book Depository | Indie Bound | Goodreads

With so many rave reviews on Goodreads, I was looking forward to Article 5, but uuugghhhh it fell totally flat for me. It was an easy read, one I did it two short sittings, but I didn't particularly enjoy it. When creating a dystopia like the one in Article 5, you need to at least have some sort of explanation. "The was a war and there's an overly-religious government in place and btw this happened only a few years ago" does not a good dystopia make. On top of that, Ember, our main character, was so hard for me to like. She seemed so naive and stupid, and if she was written that way because she was totally sheltered her whole life, cool. If not, well. Ember's constant questioning of Chase, her former love and rescuer, drove me up a wall. So did their lack of communication, angst and constant second guessing what each other said because they were both so hurt by the other. Too much drama, man.

2 comments:

  1. I love these mini reviews. It seems like a lot of readers have been disappointed with The Statistical Probability of Love. I haven't read any of these, but Ready Player One sounds promising. Thanks for your reviews.
    -FABR Steph@FiveAlarmBookReviews

    ReplyDelete
  2. loved "ready player one" - it made me want to go re-watch all of the movies and check out all the references :) YEAH 80s! hehe...

    ReplyDelete