Sunday, March 18, 2012

Review: The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight, by Jennifer E. Smith

The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight
Author: Jennifer E. Smith
Rating: ✮✮✮
Book Depository | Indie Bound | Goodreads

Summary:
Today should be one of the worst days of seventeen-year-old Hadley Sullivan's life. She's stuck at JFK, late to her father's second wedding, which is taking place in London and involves a soon to be step-mother that Hadley's never even met. Then she meets the perfect boy in the airport's cramped waiting area. His name is Oliver, he's British, and he's in seat 18C. Hadley's in 18A.

Twists of fate and quirks of timing play out in this thoughtful novel about family connections, second chances and first loves. Set over a 24-hour-period, Hadley and Oliver's story will make you believe that true love finds you when you're least expecting it.

Summary:
The thing about a novel like this, a novel that declares everything it entails in the title...you have to live up to that name. You have to create a first moment of connection without sinking to the dreaded paranormal romance ~Instaluv~ trap. You have to create true chemistry between the leads. You have to make things believable, because if you're going to tell me that two characters are going to fall in love on a flight to London, then I want to believe in it so wholeheartedly that I can't argue against it.

Sadly, this novel doesn't exactly get there. I can see the connections between Hadley and Oliver, and why they'd be drawn to each other. The problem is, it felt like there wasn't enough time for love to happen. In trying to make the novel seem much more than just a simple romance novel, Hadley's entire reason for the trip, her father's wedding to a new woman, dominates the novel, not the romance. I found myself caring less and less as time went on, because 70% of what I was reading was about Hadley and her father's relationship. I didn't care what happened with Oliver by the end of the novel, and instead had way more questions than answers. When separating Hadley's growth and her relationship with her father from the romance, it was actually a pretty insightful and touching novel. When separating Hadley and Oliver from the family stuff...it fell flat.

This could have been a really fantastic contemporary romance novel -- and there's no shame in that, absolutely none -- but it got bogged down in content that turned it into an entirely different book. I wanted epic romance, dammit.

4 comments:

  1. Sorry you didn't love this as much as I did but it seems to have really mixed opinions so I guess i was just really in the mood for just what it gave out. Lovely review though! <3 your face!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, <3 your face too!

      Yeah, I went back and read some reviews after I was done and was surprised at how mixed all the opinions were.

      Delete
  2. I haven't read this, but have been interested for awhile. The title is fantastic! Sorry to hear that this didn't really do it for you. As always, I appreciate your thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your comments always make my day, Steph. XD

      I think if you know what you're getting into (that it's a lot to do with Hadley and her dad), then it's a pretty good book. But if you go in expecting nothing but epic romance like I did, disappointment.

      Delete